Tuesday, April 30, 2013

2013-10 Bozeman, MT




And the adventure takes another turn on the winding road. Come 28 May I will become a Santa Fe resident in the Land of Enchantment directing Continuity of Operations for the State of New Mexico. For those unfamiliar, COOP is designed to insure continuation of a jurisdiction’s most essential functions in times of disruption. Santa Fe altitude is >7,000 ft. and a local ski resort has a $50 season pass for really old codgers. I qualify.

##########

In a recent post I proclaimed that Brie de Meaux was “the best,” and I expected someone to ask why. Well, you didn’t but I’ll tell you anyway.

Many, many years ago (before I learned there is a price to pay for consuming adult beverages all the way across the Atlantic), I stumbled off a TWA plane (remember them?) and into the waiting chariot of a dear friend and atrocious driver who (perhaps only because it was Sunday) delivered us to the Seine-et-Marne suburb of Paris, mercifully without incident.

This was the Marche de Coulommiers. My chauffer, a well-known local gourmand ushered me to a reserved table in the outdoor square and presented me with an oversized and quite unnecessary cognac (it was now all of 10-am local, or 4-am from whence I came). We were approached by a smiling, rotund, rosy-cheeked matron porting a full, uncut, easily 16” diameter wheel of what turned out to be Brie de Coulommiers. As I tried to focus on the meaning of all this the table was graced by a second (it could have been her twin) with an identical offering, except that she announced this was Brie de Melun. As my heart fluttered and my liver shrieked, a third approached with yet another uncut wheel of Brie de Meaux.

It was explained to my rapidly deteriorating psyche that these were the three best bries in the region (thus certainly the planet) and I was to taste all and render judgment. Each doyenne proceeded to cut a swath which appeared to be to be about 1/3 of the wheel while my host goaded me into polishing off my cognac as there was the remainder of the bottle to finish before the gourmet lunch he had planned several hours hence.

I would relate the rest of the story, but I have no recollection, other than at dinner at his nearby farmhouse he expressed great concern that I had slept through lunch (he finally found a pulse and called off the town medicine he had summoned through a message to the local church), and announced proudly that I had declared in strident terms the superiority of Brie de Meaux, his personal favorite.

I spent several wonderful days at the farm with him and his delightful wife, one of (at that time) the few female lawyers of note and substance in France. I would provide details but I have no memory now, nor did I on the return trip to Paris those many years ago. But I know I loved every minute.

##########

The Montana Legislature has passed and sent to the Governor a bill allowing residents to harvest roadkill for personal consumption. Skeptics can Google for confirmation.

But let’s say you’re a retired old coot in the high mountains and your Social Security check has been delayed by six foot snow drifts. You are motoring your ’75 Ford pickup down a dirt road and Bambi crosses your path oblivious to your approach. Do you slam on the brakes, or…

No comments: