Monday, May 20, 2013

2013-11 Lake Alcova & Douglas, WY

           

Those paying attention will note that I BLOG less in the new world than the old. Not exactly sure of the rationale here, but it is certain that Paris offers more street theatre from which to draw inspiration. The mountains offer introspection, which combined with fermented liquid refreshment, leads to long naps and periods of diminished lucidity.

##########

When I was young we blamed crazy weather on the Russians. Now it’s the political persuasion to which you don’t subscribe. Last Wednesday in Montana it passed 90F while Northern Virginia was under a freeze warning. But lest we smirk, there was a call for snow showers here yesterday.

##########

Twisting a tagline from Garrison Keilor, it was NOT a quiet week in Washington, DC, my (former) home town. I make full use of the recessive male gene that induces obsessive cable-channel-changing which in turn insures access to the full panoply of fringe opinion. On a recent excursion several talking heads noted the “back and forth” of discourse among those of varying political persuasion. It occurred to be that one must sally “forth” before venturing “back.” But then again, perhaps not in politics.

##########

Kenya has a new President. Recalls a story (as do most events these days). My first trip to Nairobi (eons ago) via an overnight flight from London landed on a sunny spring morning. I navigated the official taxi rank and my female driver immediately departed at a frightful pace down Airport Road, nick-named (I later learned) “suicide alley,” evidenced by the burned-out hulks of vehicles strewn along the way.

I dozed off and awoke to a surreal scene of flowers, chanting, huge murals, and universal anguish. My driver sat motionless, tears flowing down her ebony cheeks. I sat terrified, or would have been had I not been amply fortified by strong drink dispensed in the first-class cabin of the Kenya Airways 707 (See note below).

I sat frozen in the rear of the taxi for what seemed like hours, and eventually learned, through the taxi radio tuned to the BBC, that Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, the beloved father of modern Kenya had passed away in the night, and I was in attendance at one of the many makeshift mourning sites hastily assembled throughout the city.

This was long before cell phones, beepers, and pagers, so I set the alarm on my watch to ring two minutes hence, held it close to the driver’s ear, and upon execution whispered, as piously as I knew how, that I had an important meeting at my hotel. She slowly gathered composure and deposited me at the Nairobi Hilton. I left a nice tip.

As the hotel staff had entered an extended period of mourning, I languished in the lobby until a helpful Indian porter logged me into a suite, which three days later caused a bit of a ruckus when it was determined that I had paid only for a small single.

 

NOTE: Lest I be tagged as a closet oligarch, note than in a previous life I toiled for an organization that had an air freight division entitling it to 2 (almost) free annual first class tickets on each IATA airline. As the company grosses legumes (lit: large vegetables; French slang for “big shots”) took for the most part the best carriers (Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, et al), I was often relegated to travel from A to C (or M or X) to get to B.

This led to some memorable journeys, such as my 6 hour layover (11pm – 5am) in the Islamabad airport (a truly unforgettable experience) and the subsequent flight to Singapore on Pakistan Airlines, where, as the only occupant of first class I was invited into the cockpit (this was a VERY long time ago) as we traversed the snow-covered Himalayas. The pilot snored loudly and the First Officer regaled me with lurid accounts of the many conquests afforded him as the result of his uniform and position. After several years, the truly frightening sounds from the rear of the plane departed my conscious, though occasionally reappearing in nightmares. The view will remain forever.
##########
 
Within the week I will be the newest resident of Santa Fe, apartment hunting and preparing for my new métier. As an artist retreat made famous by the likes of Georgia O’Keefe, the housing market features a plethora of ateliers advertising zen accommodation, holistic furniture, and mesmerizing auras, the meanings of which I have no clue. Hopefully if you visit you won’t find me in a feather boa and love beads.
bientot

No comments: