Thursday, April 4, 2013

2013-07 Paris




Paris has much about which to appreciate, and also the occasional disappointment – traffic, merde de chien, aggressive clochards (most aren’t). But I find nothing more depressing than to pass on the street a stunningly beautiful 14-15 year old maiden, perfect complexion, long flowing hair, who stops, rummages in her purse, picks out a pack, lights up, takes a deep drag, blows smoke into the air with upraised face, and continues on.

Would this were an isolated occurrence, but it seems that virtually every fair maiden I pass is sucking on a cigarette, even more apparently so than young men. And at US$ 11 a pack, I bet there are “illegal” drug habits less obtrusive to the pocketbook.

 ##########

 Last post I noted “the French don’t smile,” at least not in public and not before strangers. If a young woman shows teeth on the streets of Paris, she will most assuredly be American, Aussie, or Brit, in that order.

Mais attend! I am seeing an increasing number of young local females with broad smiles on their faces. Can this be? But there is something even stranger. They all seem to be mumbling to themselves. An explosion of the deranged? Mais  non! They are talking on their cell phones (ear piece and dangling mic) to someone who obviously brings a smile to their face.
It now seems that tout Paris has a mobile phone, and perhaps to compensate for prior depravation, seem to be constantly engaged in conversation.

When I first encountered Paris, shortly after the Spanish-American war, I was trying to rent an apartment and asked my secretary at the American Embassy why none of the available flats had a telephone.

Shrug!

No problem, I’m here for about 9 months so I’ll have one installed. “Yvette, how long does it take to get a phone installed in Paris?”

“Deux annee.”

“Two days, that’s pretty quick.”

“Deux ANNEE.”

“Two weeks?”

ANNEE, ANNEE, years, YEARS!!”

I thought for a moment she was pulling my jambe (by this time I had mastered colors and was on to body parts).

“How can this be?”

Shrug!

I learned that a popular saying of the day was that half of France was waiting for a phone to be installed and the other half was waiting for a dial tone!

I did manage to rent an apartment in Montmartre with a phone, for which I paid a massive supplement. I then realized that no one knew my number and I had no one to call, but I had a phone.

I asked Yvette for a Paris phone book.

Ils n'existent plus

“Of course they exist, I’ve seen them.”

““Ils n'existent PLUS. They no longer exist.”

It appears that the French telecommunications authority prints one phone book for each eligible citizen and business and not a single copy more. If you lose yours, have it stolen or otherwise become separated from it, that is not the problem of the French PTT.

I always wondered why Yvette kept hers locked in her desk.

“Yvette, how can this be?”

Shrug. A gesture I came to regret until I realized that I could avoid its occurrence simply by no longer asking questions.
 
Paris continues colder than Montana, but the food is better!
 
Bientot...

No comments: