Monday, June 24, 2013

2013-15 Santa Fe



Back in the USSR ROC EOC (Emergency Operations Center, for the uninformed). We have been activated for over 2 weeks due to wildfires, mercifully burning mostly in uninhabited areas, no deaths, no reported loss of structure, minimal evacuations. Unlike Colorado that has at the moment 2 deaths and over 500 homes consumed.

A 10-hour shift last Saturday, and it was quiet, a good thing but a bit boring. As I am always “up” when the adrenalin flows, and increasingly (as I age) “down” when nothing is happening, I muse upon the plight of all who dwell in the realm of emergency. You certainly don’t want to sue for activity as it almost certainly means weeping and wailing and the occasional gnashing of dentures, while conversely a 10-hour shift can seem like a week when nothing is happening. Not as bad as the solo 12-hour 6-pm to 6-am odysseys I pulled as a county Watch Officer in a previous life. One night at 4-am Elvis sauntered in, but he was looking for a party and quickly departed.

The above was written a week ago and we are now back to steady-state operation, the EOC de-activated, and those once deployed have now returned to home base – they’re “ployed” I guess.

##########

The temperature here has been 90F+, but not accompanied by the 250% humidity suffered by friends back east, and thus generally tolerable.

##########

On the treadmill at 04:30 several mornings ago when the news broke that James Gandolfini succumbed to a heart attack at the age of 51. No deep thoughts here, but it did make the workout a bit more tolerable.

##########

We dress down here and jeans and collared polos are common for the masculine workforce. I have clung to the dress shirt until I discovered to my horror that laundering here is $3.50-$4.00 per shirt vice about $1.40 some 1500 miles eastward. But it may be a zero sum game, as I have found a brewery midway on my 10-minute commute home that has a happy hour with a quite tolerable pint of IPA for $2.50.

##########

Continuity, at least as practiced in government, is a slow and steady process, which provides time for contemplation. That and the fact that at the Cowgirl on Sunday a young woman offers a very passable rendition of the Janice Joplin classic “Me and Bobby McGee,” got me to wondering how Janice disposed of McGee’s body when “somewhere near Salinas, Lord, I let him slip away.” Hope she didn’t leave him curbside. If I’m ever in Kansas, I’ll ask around.
 
As one who has circumnavigated the globe a time or two, I say with some authority that I have rarely encountered so shopworn a populace as here in the Land of Enchantment. It might be the sun (which can be harsh), the wind (which I have yet to experience in extremus but which I am told can be fierce), or perhaps something else. After all, Roswell is just down the road.
##########
At the Cowgirl, where if you have been paying attention, you know I spend much of my free time, I have noticed that about 90% of the tables are same-gender and 5% are tourist families with progeny in tow who look like they would trade a double root canal for the experience.
Were I a more social individual, I might consider undertaking some cross-gender introductions. Well, perhaps not.
And yesterday while basking in the sun listening to Joe West and Friends, I was approached by a matron of a certain age who offered me sunscreen. Trying to think of a non- or minimally-rude response, I replied that I am not a fan of rubbing grease on my body, upon which she offered to undertake the application on my behalf. Cheech!  
#########

No comments: