Sunday, June 2, 2013

2013-13 Santa Fe



Smoke is in the air!

 My 4th day on the job and our State Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is activated. Three wildfires burning at the moment. The one closest to Santa Fe (15 miles away) has plowed through 6,000 acres and threatens local watersheds. It will be a proverbial long hot summer.

 ##########

Now the skinny on Santa Fe, for which you have been waiting patiently. B minus so far. Blue sky and clean air (or so it was before the fires). Restaurants aplenty, including the aforementioned Cowgirl BBQ with its open patio and backyard parking lot with weekend music in one or t’other, sometimes both.

Driving is a sport not to be taken lightly. Rather than describe the 3 accidents I have come across so far, I provide a stat to focus the issue. In the Washington, DC suburb of Fairfax County, VA I paid less than $50/year for uninsured motorist coverage. In Santa Fe that tariff is $350!

Commute time is 10 minutes or slightly greater if (when) accidents require detours.

The condo is large, eerily quiet, with a large pool that seems to hold little attraction for residents despite 90+ degree heat, and a well-equipped fitness room which I (and apparently no one else) frequent regularly. The free grilling area at the pool does attract an enthusiastic following.

The citizenry is excessively friendly. Hugs replace formal greetings among total strangers (or icy stares in places like New York and Paris). On the bus total strangers upon entrance hug upon departure (you know they are total strangers since if acquainted they would have hugged on entry). I sit in stony silence and while my lack of societal participation might invoke scorn, I am looked upon with pity, the assumption being that my hermitic posture denotes a mental deficiency.

At the Cowgirl yesterday I was approached by a damsel of a certain age who pointed to her  T-shirt “Kiss me, I’m Greek.” I replied that I’m German and we don’t kiss Greeks. She seemed not to understand and I beat a hasty retreat.

########

The job will be interesting if only in its magnitude. An omnibus All Hazards document created in 2007 requires a number of programs be implemented, few of which have commenced, and all of which I will be expected to fashion in short order, if you please.

My Homeland Security department is education-centric and I am already signed up for a dazzling array of courses, including a FEMA week in Anniston, AL. I pled for Emitsburg, MD, on the theory that I have been to Anniston and no one should be subjected to such delight more than once. But to no avail. I’m told that the bus ride from Atlanta to Anniston is a scream.

##########

I have been issued a smartphone, much smarter than I it seems, as it keeps singing to and beeping at me, the purpose of which has not been revealed. The messages are cryptic and I will likely be disciplined for non-compliance in some required activity.

##########

It is somewhat embarrassing how television-centric I am, but I do live alone and the box provides a link (however tenuous) to the outside world. Comcast (as the only cable game in town {dishes not permitted by Condo Rules, page 37, paragraph 12}) treats customers pretty much the way Marshall Dillon would have handled a drunk in the Longbranch Saloon.
I was first informed that I could not be connected because I owe the company $900, despite the fact that I have never been a Comcast customer. This took 2 days to resolve when a “system error” was discovered (not a human one, mind you, but a “system” malfunction). I was then sent a box for self-installation that was as moribund as Congressional comity, and which took much convincing to the 12-year-old in customer service. “YES, I AM QUITE SHURE THE BLOODY THING IS PLUGGED INTO THE WALL.”

I then left work early (not something you want to do on your first week), and retrieved a new box (40 minutes in line behind a string of customers with concerns far more serious than mine – exploding boxes were mentioned by several – I plan to keep a gallon of water near mine, if I ever get a working model).
Took the new box home and sure enough it worked, but gave me a message on the tube that I didn’t quite understand, but which clearly deprived me of the picture and sound I so sorely craved.

A technician (read $50/hour and a half day wait) is now required. This was Friday. One could be dispatched next Thursday “during the day,” but miraculously they work weekends, so I opted for Sunday next “during the day.” And so another week to suffer in silence (did I mention the condo is REALLY quiet)?
If I get desperate I may call some of you. Chit-chat is not required, but a recap of world events would be appreciated.

No comments: